Creating cross-document links (external cross references) in FM that are fully functional in PDF output

Jody Kemp jkemp at accela.com
Tue Apr 17 16:18:25 PDT 2012

I am hoping to create cross-document links (external cross references) in FM that are fully functional when we run our PDFs.
Standard cross references don't meet our needs because it is important for our links to be relative links rather than absolute links, so that we can move our PDFs from where they are creaated to the distribution folders.  To create relative links that work in our PDF output, I create a hypertext link pointing to the PDF version of the manual I am referencing as follows (it is important to know the NAME of that PDF file ahead of time):
 * Create a hypertext link where Command = Message Client.
 * Use this syntax:     message openfile ../<foldername>/<filename>
      where  <foldername> is the folder wherein both the originating PDF and the PDF being called are stored, and
      where <filename> is the filename and extension (e.g., document.pdf) of the PDF being called
This creates great links that bounce you from document to document, provided all the pdf's are stored together in the same folder. Just what we need!
HOWEVER... what I REALLY need to do is figure out how to create a hypertext link that not only opens the target PDF, but takes me to the location WITHIN the target document that I need.
 Does anyone know how I modify the syntax of the hypertext to do this?
I thought of using bookmarks, but the PDF conversion process adds weird stuff to bookmarks, and I don't understand what is behind how bookmarks are converted/named. Can anyone enlighten me about this? Is there a pattern I don’t understand?
Thanks!
Jody Kemp

Jody L. Kemp | Senior Technical Writer, Product Management | Accela, Inc. | (925) 659-3225
Accela, making governments easier, faster and more accessible