AW: Char and Para Tag Updating - Across Books

Georg Eck eck at squidds.de
Thu Aug 9 03:03:07 PDT 2012

Hi Alison,

the strategy should be:

1.       Rename all Char and Para tags in  your book and

2.       Then import a Template with correct Char and Para formats over
the book.

Topic 1: Take TOOLBOX 9 for FrameMaker 9 (or Finalyser for FM10 or Fm11)
with following feature:

"Rename Format Names by Configuartion" You can design a table with all
correct and wrong tags to rename it.

More information about this feature see at Online Manual, here:
http://www.finalyser.com/help/#page/Finalyser%2520Online-Help/rename_for
mats.xml.16.2.html

Topic 2: See Fred's description.

-          Georg

Subject: RE: Char and Para Tag Updating - Across Books

Unfortunately, I am renaming some tags and updating some settings that I
didn't set consistently when I first created tags.

Your mention of plugins jarred my memory. I have Silicon Prairie's Char
and Para Tools. The conversion tool included in each looks like it might
do what I want. Now I just have to study them a bit to figure out the
details (and make backups before trying anything!)

Thanks for the help!

Alison

When you say "edit/update Char and Para tags" are you referring to the
formatting associated with the tags, or to the tags themselves (e.g.,
their names and/or how they are applied)?

If it's the former, it's really quite easy:

1) Update the format definitions in one file. This can be any file: a
file from the book, a file from a different book, or a separate template
file. Save the file but leave it open.
2) From the book window, select the component files that need to be
updated.
3) Choose File>Import>Formats, and select only the Character and
Paragraph formats in the dialog.
4) Click Import.
5) After a few moments to a few minutes (depending on the number of
files and how long it takes to open each of them), you'll be all done.

Note that this process will change the formats for all tags that appear
in both the "source" (template) and "target" (document) files, and will
add any new formats that are in the template. It will not delete unused
formats, and it will not change the names of any tags, and it will not
map any existing tags to new ones. To do any of those things, you will
need either a plug-in or FrameScript plus an appropriate script (or a
lot of time and patience to do it by hand).

-Fred Ridder