On educational discounts & documentation issues

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Wed Aug 1 19:27:04 PDT 2012

Hi Rob

I've grumbled on here about an FM10 crash a couple of times in the last year. An Adobe engineer got in touch each time. I was impressed! And the crash has been fixed in FM11 - I'm definitely impressed.

I agree with you about printed manuals, though. We'll be buying a few copies of the Scriptorium book as soon as it comes out.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> "Rob Shell" <rshell at iafrica.com> 1/08/12 22:59 >>>
Hi Framers:
Down here in South Africa I have been trying to get educational discounts
for Frame products, like TC4, but so far no luck, but then the fat lady has
not sung her FM11 aria yet.
There is a long-term, industry-wide aversion to full print documentation.
This is a great pity. I am sure this knowledge gap restricts market share of
those companies who churn out expensive but undocumented versions of
fantastic programs.
If the corporation dedicated a professional writer to do a full manual of
its product, the product might  take off, but no accountant would allow that
as there would not be an immediate return on the balance sheet.  Much easier
to upgrade a pdf manual.

By the way, anyone looked at the adobe pdf manuals? They are good, but when
you turn to the index (yes, just one) they are incredibly feeble.
Ununderstandable from one of the industry`s best indexing programs.

Would not know where to start? Well I think this listserv's archive would be
a pretty good place to start.  Even a list of common problems and their
solutions might make for a significant "missing" manual.

I also do not understand why nobody from Adobe watches this space and
comments. Disconcerting to say the least. Cobbler, keep to your last.

Rob Shell

Rob Shell
Windows Seven
FrameMaker 9 patched
4 GB RAM
3 TB hd

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.