TCS 4 as DITA out-of-the-box solution

Kapil Verma kverma at adobe.com
Sun Dec 16 21:44:49 PST 2012

Craig, Gillian and others,

Thanks for your post and suggestions. I am the FM product manager at Adobe and wanted to let you know that we will definitely consider the suggestions mentioned in this thread.

Also, though this post, I wanted to point out that now in FrameMaker 11, you can easily automatically generate cover page, TOC, index, List of figures, list of tables pages etc. through a settings file called ditafm-output.ini. You can auto-generate these components either by (1) directly generating the PDF from the ditamap or (2) by generating a book first from the ditamap.

*         For the first option, one needs to go to the setting file and turn on the flag called SavePDFViaBookRoute (i.e. make it 1). Afterwards, choose the relevant settings you want e.g. GenerateTOC=1, GenerateIndex=1 etc. Save and close, and generate the PDF. FM would create all the components in the PDF automatically as specified by you in the settings file. You can even choose different templates and specify various numbering options.

*         For the second option, setting the SavePDFViaBookRoute flag is not required. Rest of the process works the same way.

Useful resources

*         See the ditafm-output.ini overview and flag reference documentation for more details http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/ini/framemaker_11_ini_reference.pdf (Chapter 1 of the documentation). Online version of the documentation can be found here<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/ini/index.html>. There are plenty of flags in this file to allow you to configure how the output gets generated

 *   To know more about how you can publish your DITAMAP to a professional PDF, while automatically generating TOC, Index etc., please see the blog post here<http://blogs.adobe.com/tcs/2012/10/uncategorized/iniref.html>

*         Also, see a related video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSMLpaqKxg which shows this capability in action.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.

Thx,
Kapil Verma
Sr. Product Manager - FrameMaker line of products