Cross-reference oddity in FM 9

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Feb 20 12:31:03 PST 2012

Rene,

You wrote:

>I am having some trouble getting character formatting to read through
>in a cross-reference. The challenge is that the character formatting
>is part of the trademarked product name, so we do need the single
>letter i at the end of the product name to always appear in italics. I
>have it working fine in the variable for the product name, but the one
>thing I can't seem to figure out is why it only shows default
>paragraph font for the x-ref, unless I include a char format tag in
>the x-ref definition...which then applies the char tag to the whole
>building block...but the single italic i is just one character within
>the building block.
>
>Is there something that I am missing, or is this impossible to do in
>the way I'm attempting? I have attached a sample file stripped of all
>but the relevant formats involved with this issue, if someone could
>please take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Nothing is wrong in how you do this.

However, in the context of cross-references, <$paratext> ignores all
character formatting present in the extracted paragraph text, except
superscript, subscript and font family properties - which are retained only
if implemented through a character tag.

To preserve a property such as italic (or bold), you need to have a
different font name for the required variation (even though visually it is
the identical font); alternatively, use a different font. For example, I
have "Univers-Condensed Oblique" in my font list; text tagged with a
character format using this font preserves its italic property when it is
cross-referenced. Some font families are installed this way by default.

If you don't have such a similar font in your current font list, you can
instruct FrameMaker to treat the Italic variation of Arial Narrow as a
distinct font name through the maker.ini file (but then Italic will not be
displayed as an available angle for Arial Narrow in the Character or
Paragraph Designer, you will have to choose a different font -- Arial
Narrow Italic -- to get the Italic).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

1-hr free webinar: "The Power of PDF Bookmarks & Automating with FrameMaker"
Feb 21, starting 10am PST: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/183659694