Cross-reference oddity in FM 9

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 13:59:54 PST 2012

Hi Schlomo,

Thanks for responding:

> However, in the context of cross-references, <$paratext> ignores all
> character formatting present in the extracted paragraph text, except
> superscript, subscript and font family properties - which are retained only
> if implemented through a character tag.
>
> To preserve a property such as italic (or bold), you need to have a
> different font name for the required variation (even though visually it is
> the identical font); alternatively, use a different font. For example, I
> have "Univers-Condensed Oblique" in my font list; text tagged with a
> character format using this font preserves its italic property when it is
> cross-referenced. Some font families are installed this way by default.

Schlomo, I think I'm missing something or doing it wrong. I'm attaching an updated Sample.FM.  I changed the font family for Italic char tag to HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn, since that's the most similar font to Arial Narrow that  I have installed on this PC. It shows fine in the variable definition, but when the variable is used in the heading, and then the heading text is xref'd via <$paratext>, it is still not picking up the angle. I don't understand why it works for you, but I'm not getting the desired result. Is it a bug in my FM file or something?

{Aside: It seems to me that either Adobe might want to consider adding another building block that does include the character formats applied to text for cross-references, so that writers have the choice of which standard to follow; or perhaps this is a limitation that doesn't exist in FM 10?}

Thanks,
Rene