Cross-reference oddity in FM 9

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Feb 20 15:50:24 PST 2012

Hi Rene

Schlomo's the expert on this, but I think your alternative font has to be an oblique/italics font, not just any different font. In his example of "Univers-Condensed Oblique", FM preserves the oblique format in xrefs because the font only has oblique glyphs. Your HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn has ordinary glyphs so FM uses them.

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology here but hopefully this makes sense anyway.

cheers
Rebecca

>>> Rene Stephenson <rinnie1 at yahoo.com> 21/02/12 10:59 >>>
Hi Schlomo,

Thanks for responding:

> However, in the context of cross-references, <$paratext> ignores all
> character formatting present in the extracted paragraph text, except
> superscript, subscript and font family properties - which are retained only
> if implemented through a character tag.
>
> To preserve a property such as italic (or bold), you need to have a
> different font name for the required variation (even though visually it is
> the identical font); alternatively, use a different font. For example, I
> have "Univers-Condensed Oblique" in my font list; text tagged with a
> character format using this font preserves its italic property when it is
> cross-referenced. Some font families are installed this way by default.

Schlomo, I think I'm missing something or doing it wrong. I'm attaching an updated Sample.FM.  I changed the font family for Italic char tag to HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn, since that's the most similar font to Arial Narrow that  I have installed on this PC. It shows fine in the variable definition, but when the variable is used in the heading, and then the heading text is xref'd via <$paratext>, it is still not picking up the angle. I don't understand why it works for you, but I'm not getting the desired result. Is it a bug in my FM file or something?

{Aside: It seems to me that either Adobe might want to consider adding another building block that does include the character formats applied to text for cross-references, so that writers have the choice of which standard to follow; or perhaps this is a limitation that doesn't exist in FM 10?}

Thanks,
Rene

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.