Can't Get "Delete Empty Pages" to stick

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jul 16 11:44:42 PDT 2012

On 13/07/2012 7:12 PM, Alison Craig wrote:

> The problem is Appendix B. No matter what I do, I can’t get the
> *Pagination* option *Delete Empty Pages* to stick.
>

> Whenever I *Update* the file it always reverts to *Make Page Count Even*.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alison,

I've opened your files and looked at the pagination settings.

All your files are set to Double-sided, first page Right.  And all your
files coincidentally contain an even number of pages except for App. B
and C (last file in the book), which have only one page of content each.

You don't see any blank pages in any of the files other than App. B
because they already have an even number of pages of content, or (in the
case of the one-page App. C) no file following.

But if App. B starts on page 17 and App. C starts on page 19, FM has no
choice but to make the page count of App. B even by adding a blank page
18 when you update the book.  FM changes the dialog box setting
accordingly.  If you don't want the back of App. B's single page to be
blank, you have to set App. C to start on Next Available, not Right.

The setting "Delete Empty Pages" would be more easily understood if it
were called "Delete Unnecessary Empty Pages."   The purpose of the
setting is to handle the situation where the addition of content has
first increased the number of pages required to hold the flow, and
deletion of content has subsequently reduced the number of pages
required.  When you add content, FM automatically adds pages, but when
the content shrinks, FM does *not* automatically delete pages left
empty.  Hence there's the option when saving to delete such
(unnecessary) blank pages.  But as in your App. B, sometimes blank pages
are *necessary* to meet the requirement of double-sided and/or first
page Right.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers