Translation question

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Thu Jul 26 13:59:33 PDT 2012

First of all, how is the French to English translation going to take place? Hopefully, it will be done by professional translators using proper translation tools so a Translation Memory (TM) will be created for future translation rounds.

Will the "master" file always be the French file? If so, then you might want to bring the French file into FM and once complete, have that translated into English.

If the English translation will become the "master" file going forward, then I would have the Word file translated into English and then bring it into Frame.

Personally, I wouldn't go near mixing the two languages in one book using conditional text. This will make future translations much more difficult and it will also cause problems if you ever translate into an additional language. I've overseen the translation of manuals into as many as 17 different languages and you want them all to stand on their own.

Alison Craig
Technical Documentation Lead

604-279-8550 | fax 604-279-8559 | toll-free 1-866-437-9508
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation | www.ultrasonix.com<http://www.ultrasonix.com/>