Multiple Columns

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jun 11 08:13:16 PDT 2012

On 08/06/2012 8:01 PM, Robert Leif wrote:
> I have been unable to produce a 2 column poster from a single column
> page. I changed the size of the page to 24 by 44 inches. Subsequently, I
> changed the column layout to two columns separated by 0.5 inch. I set
> balance columns to yes and then no. The flow wanders from column to
> column rather than first filling the left column and then the right
> column. It also appears that often, I now cannot increase the width of
> the page from 8.5 or 12 inches to 24 inches. This two column layout
> worked with FrameMaker 9 and its precursors. Do I need to reinstall
> FrameMaker 9? Since the last versions of FrameMaker were internet
> installations, I do not have a copy of FrameMaker 9. I need to produce
> this poster for a meeting that I will attend.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Robert,

Can I infer from your reference to FM 9 that you are currently working
in FM 10?  It's always helpful to the rest of us if you are as explicit
as possible in describing your setup and the steps you have followed
that resulted in a problem.

It sounds like either the setting of balance columns to 'no' did not
stick, or your pgf tags' pagination is set to 'across all columns.'

It's also not clear what you mean by "cannot increase the width of the
page", because you start out by saying that you did so.

Myself, I would start out with File > New > Document > Custom and set
the page up from that dialog box, rather than opening a blank letter
size document and trying to change the defaults.  I just followed that
process and had no trouble (FM 10.0.2.419, Win 7/64).  Balance columns
worked as expected, and deselecting it also worked.

Perhaps more step-wise detail of what you have done will help us
diagnose your problem.

Best,

--
Stuart Rogers