trick for wrapping headings in TOC?

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Mar 12 00:47:09 PDT 2012

Robert,

You wrote:

>TOC paragraph tags in this project have a single Right tab stop at the
>right margin.
>
>If a heading is just the wrong length, only the page number is bumped
>the next line and appears at the left margin. If it's enough longer
>that a word wraps to the next line, the page number is at the right
>place.
>
>Is there a fix for this other than the kludge of putting a
>non-breaking space between the last two words of the heading?
>
>foo . . . . . . . . . . 1
>bar bar bar bar bar
>2
>bar bar bar bar bar
>  bar . . . . . . . . . 3

For the TOC paragraph tags:
Specify a value such as 200% for Minimum Word Spacing (Pgf Designer,
Advanced tab); make it higher or lower to adjust the "wrap region" as needed.

In the TOC reference page, TOC flow:
Specify an additional tab between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>, eg
<$paratext>\t\t<$pagenum>
(note: I prefer using \t instead of the Tab character as it is always
visible; the tab itself is used on the body page and may not be
interpreted  properly in the Ref page anyway because of the different
column width)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants