Resources to help a newbie create DITA documents in FrameMaker 10

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Thu May 17 16:27:05 PDT 2012

I've evaluated a number of DocBook and DITA authoring tools. With
Oxygen XML, which is the easiest I've tried, I created a sample
project and generated output within ten minutes. It took me somewhat
longer in XMetal but it wasn't hard.

FrameMaker 10 is by far the most opaque putative DocBook / DITA
authoring tool I've looked at. The help resources are all for
FrameMaker 7.x:

http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/framemaker/?trackingid=ZLQL#xmldita

The Using the DocBook Starter Kit and Using the DocBook Starter Kit
guides are just a few pages of very abstract information. It
references the Structured FrameMaker Developer’s Guide, which I guess
has been supplanted by the "Structured Application Developer
Reference." Neither those docs nor the sample files bundled with
FrameMaker gave me any clue of how to create a project from scratch or
port an existing unstructured FrameMaker doc.