Resources to help a newbie create DITA documents in FrameMaker 10

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Thu May 17 20:26:05 PDT 2012

Hi Robert...

It's unfortunate that you headed down the "Structured Application" path
.. that has nothing to do with creating a DITA project .. that's how you
create the files that allow you to author in an XML model like DITA or
DocBook, but the DITA structured application has already been created
and is available for you to use. Those docs are "developer" docs not
"user" docs.

As you found, none of the documentation available at the location you
reference has anything to do with DITA or how you'd use it in FM10 (I
have no idea why Adobe still provides the "DITA Starter Kit for FM 7.2"
.. yikes, talk about misleading).

If you'd only been pointed in the right direction, you may have found
that it is actually very easy to create and maintain DITA files in
FrameMaker ..

     File > New > DITA > <choose a topic type>

Setting up a DITA "project" is really the same in Frame as it is in all
other DITA authoring tools. You create some topics, you create a map,
then you arrange those topics in the map. You do need to have a rough
idea as to how to arrange the elements in the topics and maps, but
that's the same in all tools. If you're familiar with FM's structured
authoring UI, you'll be in good shape. If not, that's something to read
up on.

There are lots of places to find info on the concepts behind DITA
authoring .. those will all apply to Frame as well as other editors. It
would be really nice though if Adobe provided a "Quick Start Guide for
DITA in Frame". Oh well .. maybe for the next release!  :o

Cheers,

...scott