Generating translated online help

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Fri Nov 9 09:00:01 PST 2012

Hi, all.

We use FrameMaker 10 and RoboHelp 9 in a Windows 7 environment.

If you manage many translations, how do you handle the online help?

In the past, in English only, we have produced a .chm file that currently is linked only to the main page through a Help menu item. (If it matters for translation considerations, I am pushing hard for context-sensitive help in the future.)

Does your translation house take your FrameMaker files and your sample English RoboHelp output, and generate the online help for you in all your translated languages?

Or do you take the translated FM files and generate the translated help files in-house?

I've done my Google research on this topic and found various sites providing step-by-step instructions. The writeup I enjoyed most was this:

"Find a localization company who can demonstrate to your satisfaction that it has done this before, and hand off the entire English version of your project - .hpj, .hhc, .hhk, .htm/.html and, of course, the .chm. Then go back to your regularly scheduled crisis. "

from

http://www.1-for-all.com/l10n_blog/labels/translation%20Robohelp.html

Is that basically how it works for you?

Thanks for any particular tips and hard-won insights you can provide!

--Nancy