How to generate an index of names without markers (or by automated insertion of markers)

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 20:33:46 PST 2012

Hi Björn

I think you could do this with search-and-replace, especially for names
that aren't also words.

For example, make an index marker for the name "Bradbury", then paste
the marker immediately after an instance of the name Bradbury. Then copy
the name + the marker. Then use search-and-replace to find all examples
of "Bradbury" and replace them by pasting. That'd replace "Bradbury"
with "Bradbury + marker".

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Björn Mattsson<bjorn_m at bredband.net> 25/11/12 08:19 >>>
Hi all.

I have received a request from a client, late in a huge book project,
generate an index with all of the names of people that are mentioned in
the
book. We have been supplied with a list of names and the client thinks
that
we can just "press a button" to compile the index. This is not the case
of
course, but the client insists that it should be done.

What I am looking for is a way to locate a name in the document, find
out
the page number and then create an index looking like this:

Adams, Douglas 42
Bradbury, Ray 451
Dumas, Alexandre 20, 45

etc.

I am fairly experienced Framemaker user but I can not come up with a
way of
doing this without inserting (Author) markers for every instance where
one
of the listed names occur in the text. This would be hundreds of
places, and
we would have to view each page manually.

I have tried my best to come up with some (semi)automated way of
achieving
this but the only thing I can think of would be to save the document as
mif
and write some sort of script that parses the text file inserting
marker
elements where it finds any of the listed names. Probably time
consuming,
and highly unsafe or at least unpredictable.

My question to all you experts is if there is any way to get this done
using
Framemaker itself, or a plug-in for Framemaker, or using any other tool
you
might think of.

For this project we use Framemaker 7.2.

Thanks for any input,
Björn Mattsson
Sweden

or visit
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rebecca.officer%40alliedtelesis.co.nz

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.