FrameMaker -> online help solution

Ben Allums allums at webworks.com
Fri Nov 30 08:31:54 PST 2012

On 11/28/2012 12:53 PM, Lynn Gold wrote:
> I have a bunch of FrameMaker 7 files that currently go through WebWorks
> 2003 to get turned into online help.
>
> One of the sticking points of moving them to the current version of
> FrameMaker is getting an online help solution that will work with
> special marker tags that we've added to tell WebWorks 2003 where to
> break pages.
>
> We aren't sure whether to go with RoboHelp, WebWorks ePublisher, or
> something else altogether.  Any opinions?  With an already overloaded
> group that's about to get smaller, we need a quick and (relatively) easy
> solution, preferably one that doesn't require us to do anything special
> to the FM files beyond moving them to the current version.

Lynn,

It's been awhile since I've worked with Publisher 2003, but I do not
recall that page breaks where controlled via markers.  Page breaks
should be controlled via a page break option + TOC levels (to combine
successive page breaks) + page style markers.

ePublisher exactly mimics the behavior of Publisher 2003 with regard to
page break and page styling behavior.

So, it would be worth your while to evaluate ePublisher and see how it
works with your content.  Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to
download and confirm the behavior.

   <http://www.webworks.com/Tour/Try_ePublisher/>

I would recommend that you request to evaluate ePublisher Designer, as
you are an experienced Publisher 2003 user.

Ben Allums
allums at webworks.com