FM10 - font error

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 07:16:43 PDT 2012

I just wanted to amplify on some of the obscure places where unavailable font specifications can lurk:
-Master pages and Reference pages. These are not searched when you search from the Body page view; you have to search them explicitly.
-Paragraph formatting in unused (non-instantiated) table formats. FM retains the formatting specs for each cell in the heading row and the first body row for every table format; whether or not the table format is used in the document, the font specs are still "used" in the file.
-WMF or EMF graphics. These graphics file formats embed the name of the font that was used, but not the font itself.
-EPS graphics that were not created with the fonts embedded

Finally, a real gotcha. A few years back (in the FM7/FM8 era, if I recall correctly) I worked on a cooperatively authored specification document. One of the authors had his system set up for Chinese language use, and whenever he saved a file in .fm format, it wound up with some fragment of code that specified a Chinese font that nobody else had. The gotcha was that I was never able to find the fragment, because the process of saving the .fm file to MIF to allow detailed examination actually *removed* the errant fragment. So doing a "MIF wash" (saving to MIF and then converting the MIF back to .fm file format) became another part of the generalized solution to a "missing fonts" problem with a file, and the *only* solution that worked in that particular case.

-Fred Ridder