FrameMaker 10 Crashes When Saving a Book with Conditional Text and TT Edits

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Sep 3 14:37:40 PDT 2012

Hi Joseph

Try the trial version of FM11. FM10 has crashes around conditional text for us, and we can't reproduce them in FM11. It might be a different bug, but worth a try.

If you aren't already doing this, a possible workaround in FM10 is to make sure you save the files before updating the book.

The other day, I tried using track changes at the same time as our conditional text scheme. FM10 seemed to cope with having one condition plus track changes on a piece of text, but if I applied multiple conditions plus track changes, it didn't always display the track changes correctly. It didn't crash but it wasn't much use either. I was on a deadline so haven't investigated it properly, or tried it on FM11. But my at-a-glance conclusion was that, yep, conditional text and track changes are mutually exclusive for now.

Hopefully FM11 is better.

When I get time, I'll test it on FM11 and report the bug to Adobe if I find one.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Joseph Lorenzini <jaloren at gmail.com> 1/09/12 09:25 >>>
Hi All,

Until quite recently, I was the sole technical writer at my company. In the last few months, a new writer was hired on. To review the edits he made to the documentation, he turned on track text edits. In addition, he occasionally applied conditional text to new text that he wrote. This meant that the green TT conditional text is applied indicating new text AND conditional text is applied to that text. Before he did this, the FrameMaker book would update and save without a problem. I have had this book for years and it has rarely ever experienced a crash or corruption. After he did this, each time I update the book, FrameMaker would crash. The moment I removed the specific sections of text that have TT edits and conditional text applied, the crashes no longer occurred.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know how to work around this? Its really frustrating and a shame because I think this means that conditional text and TT edits are mutually exclusive and if you combine them you risk crashing FrameMaker.

Here's some relevant information for debugging the issue:

--the write and I are on machines with almost identical specs: Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit, Solid State drives, 4 GB of RAM, Intel Core i5 CPU
--the writer and i are on TCS 3.5.
--we are both using Framemaker 10
--we do not work off a network share. Instead we use SVN.

Thanks,
Joe

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.