Localization Process with FrameMaker 10

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:35:05 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am using unstructured FrameMaker 10. I am documenting a product in
English, which needs to be translated into Chinese every release. I was
curious what process people use to do the localization. Here is the process
I was thinking about using with the existing documentation.

1. there would be two versions of each document. One for english and
another Chinese. I thought about using the same Framemaker files and
conditionalizing the text based on language but that seemed awfully messy.
2.place all FM files in SVN so they are source control.
3. for each release, turn on track changes for the English versions.
4. once documentation for the release is complete, commit FM files to SVN.
5. localization person retrieves files from SVN.
6. Using the FM TT toolbar, the translator searches for any changes since
the last release.
7. For the changes the translator finds, the person goes to the chinese
version and makes the appropriate updates.
8. I am not sure how to handle changes to screenshots though, so any
suggestions on that would be helpful.

So what does everyone think about the above process? Is there a better way
to do this? I can't say that I am crazy about using track changes
considering how crude and unstable they are (hello framemaker crashes) but
they are better than nothing.

Thanks,
Joseph Lorenzini