CMY data in PDF for JPEGs [do have workaround, but just curious]

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 11:23:53 PST 2013

At 12:53 -0600 13/12/13, Mike Wickham wrote:

>This may be a wild stab, but how is color management set up in your PDF .joboptions file? (In Distiller, choose "Default Settings", then Settings> Edit Adobe PDF Settings> Color tab> Color Management Policies).  (May be different in your old Acrobat version) Some of those settings, as I recall, will change grayscale to color (such as "Tag Everything for Color Management). You probably want it set to "Leave Color Unchanged."

As a default I'm using 'Press Quality', which in v 6 does have color management set to 'Leave color unchanged'.

My guess is that this is all something to do with FrameMaker's JPEG import filters. The clue is that it does not happen for a TIFF version of any of the problem images when converted from JPEG to TIFF outside of FrameMaker and embedded as TIFFs. It seems to be peculiar to JPEGs.

As Sherlock Holmes used to say, 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.' (Or something like that).

--
Steve