OT: HTML Help Related Topics control and character encoding

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Wed Feb 13 07:01:25 PST 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 05:44:07 -0500, Jim Owens <jowens at magma.ca> wrote:

>We're using the HTML Help Related Topics ActiveX control.  When we
>create an <Item> with Arabic text for the title, the wrong characters
>appear in the Topics Found dialog box, even when the system locale is
>set to Arabic.  Everything else in the compiled help uses the correct
>Arabic characters, whether or not the system locale is set to Arabic.
>The encoding used by our translator is windows-1256.
>
>Is there something we can try, or is this just a limitation of the control?

When you comiled the Arabic CHM, did you do it on
an Arabic system?  NOT just one with the locale set?
That's what HTML Help requires for Search to work;
always has.  Not just for Arabic, but for any other
locale.

Also, are all your HTML files in the correct Code
Page encoding, 1256?  Unicode will NOT work for
HTML Help, though you may think it does.

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/