cannot generate PDF

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Wed Feb 13 16:32:23 PST 2013

Hello Art,

well, I do not see any disadvantages in using the "save
as pdf" option.

Quite the contrary: The resulting PDF will by default
have exactly the same page size as the Frame file. This is very helpful
if you're switching much between different and unusual formats.

And
the best is: "Saving" the PDF will be about 10 times faster than writing
a postscript file.

I am often producing postscript files with 1 GB or
more - instead of half an hour this only takes a few minutes.

Best
regards

Tino H. Haida

> A few others in the forum are likely to
disagree.... but I think it sucks. :-)

> There have always been
issues with it over the years and releases, so much so that I just quit
using it myself (still have to use it to debug for others) in the FM7
time frame because it was too buggy. It has always used an arcane
interface that, when it works, uses a totally different method of
specking and creating the PDF file than printing to the Acrobat logical
printer instance. It is much improved in the 11 release, but I still
haven't gotten into the habit of using it at all.

> I follow the
KISS principle and just print to the Acrobat printer. It's more
controllable and more stable, IMHO than its evil twin.

> Bottom line
is if the SaveAs PDF isn't working for you, try printing to the Acrobat
printer instead; it's become a basic debugging step to determine if the
problem is in the output generation or in the files.

> Cheers,

Art

> Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
> "... In my opinion,
there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and a redheaded girl."
-- Richard Thompson

www.TheGrotonLine.com [1], hyperlocal news for Groton MA.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Theresa de Valence <TdeV at bstw.com> wrote:

On 2/13/2013 8:02 AM, Art Campbell wrote:

>>> In particular, if you
get the same results printing
>>> to the Adobe Acrobat logical printer
as when you use SaveAs PDF
>>> (which I wouldn't recommend).
>> Art,
>>

>> Are you saying that SaveAs PDF is not good?
>>
>> Theresa

Links:
------
[1] http://www.TheGrotonLine.com