cannot generate PDF

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Thu Feb 14 17:37:55 PST 2013

Hello Fred,

I just tried: printing to the PDF printer uses the
standard size, e.g. DIN A4, if this is set. Which is absolutely not what
the "save as PDF" option does.

So I would have to go to the settings
to adjust over and over again. It does not seem an efficient method, as
I am dealing with many different formats...
Or did I miss something
here?

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida

Am 2013-02-14 21:04, schrieb
Fred Ridder:

> Art never recommended that you write a PostScript
file.
> What he recommended is that you *print* to the Adobe PDF virtual
printer. This creates a PDF file directly, but uses a predictable set of
Distiller settings (unlike Save As PDF, which is affected by setting in
at least three different locations if I recall correctly). Printing to
the Adobe PDF virtual printer takes essentially the same amount of time
that the Save As PDF method does; the last time I tested the two methods
against one another, printing to the Adobe PDF printer was faster than
Save As PDF about 1/3 of the time and was only significantly slower on
one test document.
> And printing to the Adobe PDF virtual printer does
use the page size defined in FrameMaker, just as Save As PDF does.

-Fred Ridder

> -------------------------
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013
01:32:23 +0100
framers at lists.frameusers.com
> Subject: Re: cannot generate PDF

Hello Art,
> well, I do not see any disadvantages in using the "save as
pdf" option.
> Quite the contrary: The resulting PDF will by default
have exactly the same page size as the Frame file. This is very helpful
if you're switching much between different and unusual formats.
> And
the best is: "Saving" the PDF will be about 10 times faster than writing
a postscript file.
> I am often producing postscript files with 1 GB or
more - instead of half an hour this only takes a few minutes.
> Best
regards
> Tino H. Haida
>
>> A few others in the forum are likely to
disagree.... but I think it sucks. :-)

>> There have always been
issues with it over the years and releases, so much so that I just quit
using it myself (still have to use it to debug for others) in the FM7
time frame because it was too buggy. It has always used an arcane
interface that, when it works, uses a totally different method of
specking and creating the PDF file than printing to the Acrobat logical
printer instance. It is much improved in the 11 release, but I still
haven't gotten into the habit of using it at all.

>> I follow the
KISS principle and just print to the Acrobat printer. It's more
controllable and more stable, IMHO than its evil twin.

>> Bottom
line is if the SaveAs PDF isn't working for you, try printing to the
Acrobat printer instead; it's become a basic debugging step to determine
if the problem is in the output generation or in the files.

Cheers,
>> Art
>>
>> Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
>> "... In my
opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and a
redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
>> No disclaimers apply.
>> DoD
358

> [...]