TOC has incorrect page numbers

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:57:34 PDT 2013

Richard has identified the most obvious potential cause for the problem you describe.

But another possible cause is the change in the font metrics that occurs when you change from one printer driver to another. (This is the reasons for the infamous "Font information has changed" warning message.) FrameMaker obtains information on the precise width of every character in every font used in the document from the printer driver. When you change to a different driver (for example from a physical printer to the Adobe PDF virtual printer for PDF generation), there will always be some differences in the dimensions. These differences are usually very small and insignificant, but if you will have a line of text that is almost exactly the width of the text column even a tiny difference in metrics can make a visible difference on the page. If one printer has metrics that are a tiny bit smaller for some character(s) the line of characters might fit on a single line on the page; but if the metrics are a tiny bit larger on a different printer the line may be forced to break. A couple of additional line breaks on a page may push a table row or a graphic to the next page prematurely, and before you know it all your headings are on a different page than when you started. This used to happen all the time when printers usually had much lower resolution and the differences in font metrics were therefore larger in magnitude. There used to be a good reason for Frame's "Font information has changed" warning, and you may have run afoul of it here. (Note that this phenomenon was one of the reasons why Word documents used to be notorious for having pagination differences on different computers and sometimes between on-screen and printed versions.)

If this is indeed what is going on, the solution is to switch to the printer driver you will use for the final output *before* you do the final Update Book operation to set the final pagination and generate the TOC to match. Or use a workflow or a plug-in like Sundorne's SetPrinter to *always* use Adobe PDF as the default printer for FrameMaker (assuming PDF is your final output).

-Fred Ridder