Modifying FM's default R/L master pages

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Mon Jun 10 01:28:30 PDT 2013

Gay Alson wrote:

> Hello, Framers,
> FrameMaker imposes Right/Left master pages that can’t be deleted, although they
> can be modified—or so I thought.
> In one template, I changed the orientation of the default R/L master pages from
> Portrait to Landscape. However, after PDFing a book consisting of several chapters,
> some using the modified Right/Left and others using the default (portrait) Right/Left
> master pages, the result is all Portrait pages.
> To me this indicates that the PDFing procedure applied the same master pages to all
> pages. Is there a way around this?
> (Previously I used custom Landscape Right and Left pages but that caused other
> problems, which I hoped to avoid by just using default R & L master pages that had
> been modified. ) Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

This could be a combination of two issues:

1. I seem to remember FrameMaker sometimes has trouble creating a PDF when a book contains a mix of landscape and portrait pages. The resulting PDF will contain only one page orientation, the landscape pages will be rotated. The solution was to create a .ps file, then drop this on Distiller.

2. After you import master pages into a book, you have to apply them.
If you have set up a Master Page Mapping Table, you can do this automatically.

Harro de Jong
Triview