FrameMaker 12 released

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Jan 16 16:21:43 PST 2014

Robert Lauriston said:
> If you buy a subscription and don't renew at the end of the year, the license is invalid and FrameMaker stops working.

> If you buy the $1000 full version or a $400 or $600 upgrade, the license is perpetual. The only thing that expires is the support agreement.

> I don't see why anyone would abandon FrameMaker just because the upgrades are a bad value.

I don't plan to do the subscription model for FrameMaker 12 either. It does not make sense for me - even if I were continuing with FrameMaker.

It only makes _some_ sense for new users of FrameMaker, or folks still on versions _prior_ to version 10, where the "upgrade" cost of $999 is the same as full price.

For example, after two years, the cost (24 * $29.99 = $719.76) is _much_ higher than the cost of a single upgrade to FM 12 from FM 11. And, after three years, it would be more than the list price of a full license.

Here, I used 2 years as a duration model. Although it would probably be longer and more expensive, since upgrades for FrameMaker don't seem to occur every year now. Else I would have gotten at least one - sigh - during my 2 years "license upgrade" contract that expired before FM 12 was released.