"Unable to allocate ... bytes for color profile"

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 03:50:51 PST 2014

At 09:19 +0200 6/3/14, Robert CH Shell wrote:

>Any clues what went wrong here?
>
>%%[ Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand: setdistillerparams ]%%
>%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>Unable to allocate 557168 bytes for color profile U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
>%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
>
>I so wish there was a pre-flight check for FM. Even the despised PageMaker
>had one. This error cost me 7 hours of precious computer time. Waits till end before error message~acronym~ WEBEM

Yes, these incomprehensible Distiller errors are irritating. The problems in my experience are most often related to graphics. Looks like a graphic has a bad color profile here: have you tried to weedle out which graphic is causing the issue? Does Distiller process .ps up to the point of the error? If it's a book, i.e. multiple documents, try to distill each separately, and see what happens. If not, try stubbing graphics one by one to spot any delinquents.

Unless the error is real, and you're short of physical memory?

As for preflighting, Acrobat Pro can do a lot for you. As it's now rentable, it's not a huge cost for a one-off preflight.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]