seeking an elegant solution, somewhat OT

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Wed Nov 26 14:07:01 PST 2014

I could use that too. I haven't found anything more elegant than a
spreadsheet. I have an entry for every third-party .jar file and for
new releases compare that column with the latest contents of the /lib
directory to see if there's anything new.

Most use Apache 2.0 or Eclipse 1.0. I also have Apache 1.1, BSD, CDDL
1.0, 1.0.1, and 1.1, CERN, GLPL 2.1 and 3, MIT, Mozilla 1.1 and 2.0,
and numerous proprietary public licenses. A handful are public domain.

Most if not all of the BSD and MIT licenses I've seen include a clause
such as "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall
be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

GPL (as opposed to LGPL) can't be distributed with commercial
software. If I find GPL libraries or others that can't be distributed
(such as for Oracle and MS JDBC drivers) I file bugs. I also file bugs
if the license requires a notice file that's missing.

I believe a link to the source on Maven Central Repository or
Sourceforge is adequate for satisfying the sources requirement. That's
what Apache seems to be doing.

It's increasingly common for license disclosure to be reduced to a URL
in pom.xml.