Automated cross-reference format content (for reference to tables in paragraphs)

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Oct 23 17:46:30 PDT 2014

Hi, all.

I was wondering if there is a way to achieve something, but I am not seeing a good (and ideally simple) way to do so.

Essentially, within a body paragraph, I want to be able to say (in the middle of other text, of course):

-        ' ... Table XX, "Title of Table", ... ' when the paragraph and the table caption are on the same page,

-        ' ... Table XX, "Title of Table" on Page YY, ... ' when the paragraph and the table caption are on different pages.

I already have two cross-reference formats that I use for this purpose, but it is not automated. Meaning that if the paragraph and caption start out on the same page, I use the first format and the second format when they are on different pages.

But, as I add and remove and delete and edit text - all normal work - in other locations of the document (typically before this reference, of course), the paragraph and caption could get separated onto different pages.

And, then I have to go and find the cross-reference and switch it to the other format manually. In a long document, this is also prone to error.

I have tried using only the second format exclusively, but it looks quite silly to refer to the page when the table title is right there on the same page! :(

I have also tried the "above" and "below" constructs for the format, but don't like them as much - they are not useful (for similar "look silly" reasons) when the table caption and paragraph slide onto different pages. Because, I feel that "above" and "below" ought to refer to material on the same physical page.

So, I'd love to have a way to automate this as I edit document, meaning that the format should added the "on Page YY" automatically if and only if they reference and the table are on different pages. All on the fly, so that I don't have to think about it! :)

Any thoughts?

P.S. Conceptually, I am also looking for another similar thing ... for adding "This Page is Intentionally Blank" when there is nothing on it ... but that is less critical.