FrameMaker: mysterious font substitution in PDF

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Oct 24 09:13:47 PDT 2014

Adding to Stuart's answer, if this is a situation where Windows is
reading a printer-resident version of Helvetica from a Postscript
printer-- rather than using a font that is actually installed on the
computer--, the situation is usually easily fixable. The printer
installation disk should contain a folder that holds all the
printer-resident fonts. You canmanually install any that you want on the
computer and they will then be embeddable in a PDF.

There is a warning related to Helvetica, though. There is a Windows or
Internet Explorer bug (I forget which), which causes Web pages to
display blank if they contain Helvetica as the first listed font in CSS
and the Postscript version of Helvetica is installed on the computer. So
if you start seeing blank Web pages in your browser, try uninstalling
Helvetica from your computer-- or replace it with the OpenType version.

Mike Wickham