secured PDFs

Craig, Alison Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Tue Mar 3 14:10:59 PST 2015

We secure our customer-facing PDFs. Users can Print or View only. We've learned the hard way with dealers/distributors who pull things out, make shorter/different versions or change things to suit their personal style. I know it's easy to crack a PDF password, but from a liability standpoint, if someone does this, it's a deliberate act on their part.

As we produce Medical Devices, it is imperative that no one tampers with content which has had to go through software reviews, clinical reviews, Risk Assessments, Regulatory approvals (FDA, Health Canada, etc) audits (again, FDA, Health Canada, etc).

A few internal people occasionally ask for extracts from the manuals for legitimate purposes, so I extract the specifics they need - but I never give them the password (too many in-house people keep copies and pass them around, so we've learned the hard way that only documentation personal can have the password).

Alison

Alison Craig | Technical Documentation Lead
Ultrasonix | 130-4311 Viking Way | Richmond, BC  V6V 2K9 | analogicultrasound.com<http://www.analogicultrasound.com>
T 604-279-8550 ext 127 | F 604-279-8559