[Framers] Best way to replace one template with another without using plugins?

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Apr 12 10:19:31 PDT 2016

The right way to do it is to have all paragraph and character tags have the
same names. Then you can just import formats without deleting anything.

If things aren't so well organized:

To change all format B to format A, removing format B from catalog:

   - change Paragraph Tag A to Ax, Update All, OK
   - change Paragraph Tag B to A, Update All, OK
   - change Paragraph Tag Ax to A, Update All, OK
   - Update All (again), OK, Remove Overrides

To change all format B to format A, leaving format B in catalog:

   - save a scratch copy of document with a different name
   - change Paragraph Tag B to A, Update All, OK
   - open scratch copy
   - return to original document
   - File / Import / Formats, select scratch copy, make sure Paragraph
   Formats (or Character Formats) and Other Format/Layout Overrides are
   checked, click Import