[Framers] FW: Negative Spread/Run-In Paragraph Problem in FrameMaker 2015

Jeff Coatsworth Jeff.Coatsworth at jonasclub.com
Thu Mar 24 08:21:32 PDT 2016

Did they log it with the Adobe Bugbase? There's also the techcom at adobe.com e-mail that Stefan Gentz has promoted for users to use.

-----Original Message-----
From: Framers [mailto:framers-bounces+jeff.coatsworth=jonasclub.com at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Rick Quatro
Sent: March-24-16 10:52 AM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: [Framers] FW: Negative Spread/Run-In Paragraph Problem in FrameMaker 2015

Hello Framers,

Anyone from Adobe monitoring the list? I got the email below from a client
of mine and can confirm what he is seeing. Something has changed from
FrameMaker 12 to 2015 that is causing the issue below. I have a sample file
that I can forward if someone wants to take a look at it. Please let me know
if you have any questions or comments. Thank you very much.

Rick

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.

585-366-4017

rick at frameexpert.com

I would dearly love to have your feedback on a problem I'm having with
FrameMaker 2015. In Version 11, I successfully developed numbered bullets,
and as part of my research for this, I remember contacting you, which you
may or may not recall since it's been so long.

Numbered bullets are constructed as two paragraphs.

The first paragraph contains just one character (a bullet), in a font called
BigBullet2.ttf. That first paragraph is a run-in paragraph.

The second paragraph starts with a tab, followed by an autonumber, followed
by another tab. The autonumber is white.

Setting the spread in the first paragraph to -42% enables me to achieve the
effect of having the white autonumber center over the black bullet.

But with FrameMaker 2015, the spread feature when used in conjunction with a
run-in paragraph no longer works properly. At -42%, the autonumber hangs out
at the right edge. I tried increasing the spread, and was able to improve
the position slightly. But the maximum response is at -53.3%, which is not
enough negative spread to center the number.

To illustrate:

In Frame 11 I have produced a whole array of technical manuals with numbered
bullets in them. The prospect of now replacing them with plain bullets is
daunting and of course undesirable.

Of course the best option is for Adobe to fix the spread command/run-in
command so they work together the way they used to.

Do you happen to have any influence with Adobe to ask them to fix the
problem?

I have attached the Frame file, in case you have the time/interest to
experiment and find a solution.