[Framers] What do you say when FrameMaker disappoints?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 07:21:10 PST 2017

Yes, I'm afraid you're the only one, Alan. I've just tested Help > About
FrameMaker and this works for me. ;-)

@Rick: does FrameMaker crash consistently in a given chapter or on a given
page? Maybe there's a vector graphic on that page which does not have the
fonts embedded (used to be one of those old problems)? And have you tried
to select RGB instead of CMYK in the *PDF Setup *dialog?

For me, this is one of those weird things in Frame: If there is a problem
in the PDF file, say random text missing
​ on some pages, Adobe Support's advice was to select RGB instead of CMY​K.
Usually, this solved the problem indeed, but what if I wanted to create a
CMYK PDF file with ALL of my text in there? And how are different color
models related to missing text? This problem still seems to be there in Fm
2017 because next to the CMYK option in the PDF Setup dialog, I read the
ominous message: "Recommended to choose RGB option for Right-to-Left
document". That's a nice warning but... how do I create a CMYK RTL PDF
(nice acronym stack ;-)) then?

Still, I like FrameMaker's flexibility to format DITA-structured content
and generate pretty nice PDFs (with some help from DITA-FMx, of course ;-)):

http://flowtime.be/DITA/PDFs/index.html

Cheers

Yves Barbion
www.flowtime.be