[Framers] Framers Digest, Vol 142, Issue 17

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Tue Jan 30 07:13:57 PST 2018

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think "Bolded"
(rather than "Bold") is FrameMaker's way of saying that no actual bold
font was available for use. Rather, someone used the Bold button in the
toolbar (or selected Bolded in a paragraph or character designer) to
apply a fake bold characteristic to text that uses the Symbol font. If I
remember right, the Bold button will work as expected, if an actual bold
font exists-- but if the font doesn't exist, then bold ("bolded") is
simulated.

In the old days, of dot matrix printers, bold could be simulated on
screen and in print by double displaying/printing text, with the second
printing offset by a pixel to make the text look fat. Likewise, italics
could be faked by incrementally offsetting each row of pixels in the
text to make it appear to slant. It was ugly, but worked. When there is
no actual bold or italic font, the Bold and Italic buttons attempt to do
this. They mimic the effect on screen.  Note that this doesn't work with
all fonts. So you may have the Bolded style applied, but not be able to
see any bold text.

But displaying a fake attribute on screen doesn't mean that it will
print, and it certainly won't work in a PDF, since the needed font is
missing. Best practice is never to use the Bold or Italic buttons, since
you may not know if you have an actual bold or italic font to back it
up. You don't know what you will get. So always use an actual paragraph
or character format to apply bold or italic style-- and don't choose
"Bolded" or "Obliqued" if it pops up as an option, rather than true Bold
or Italic or Oblique.

Anyway, if this is the case, you might be able to use Find/Change to fix
it. Select Find: Character Format. Then, in the dialog that pops up, use
Shift+F8 to set everything to "As is," then select Weight: Bolded. Click
Set to close the dialog. Then click Find to find text that has the
bolded attribute. Remove the bolded attribute. If you want bold, you
will need to get a bold version of the font in question.

Hopefully, someone who understands this better will chime in if I got it
wrong.

Mike Wickham