[Framers] Changing Setup Files

Klaus Daube klaus at daube.ch
Fri Dec 13 05:09:56 PST 2019

On 10 Dec 2019 at 15:55, Orly Zimmerman wrote:

> 1. I saw that the FM developers added a note asking us to be
> careful when assigning the F10 key to something, because Windows uses that
> key for different things-  anyone know what its commonly used for?

Dear Orly,
Yes, F10 is used in Windows, however while FM runs, it "over-writes the definition".
Outside of FM and in some other applications F10 (and others) have the "orginally"
assigned function, e.g. while in Windows Explorer:
      F10: Activate the Menu bar in the active app
Shift+F10: Display the shortcut menu for the selected item

Whithin FM 'we' use modifications of the assignments since FM-5.5 when Shlomo Perets
presented his modified tool bars. This has been continued by me for the Enhanced Tool
Bars: https://daube.ch/docu/files/etb-fm14+15-en.pdf#page=21

> BTW - The Adobe developers mention "For documentation on this file, see the
> on-line manual "Changing Setup Files"." - for the cmds.cfg file in the
> general configui folder. - but I can't find this manual.

This has not been updated since the days of FM-7. In recent times it would have
required an update for every FM version... See my works:
https://daube.ch/docu/files/etb-customising-fm11.pdf, ...etb-customising-fm12.pdf and
etb-customising-fm14.pdf

> 2. Which cmd file can/should I change - if I'm working in non-structured -
> probably the wincmds.cfg in the configui/UnStructured/WYSIWYGView/ folder -
> right?

Yes, wincmds.cfg is a good place. The recommended method however is to put user
modifications into $FMHOME\fminit\configue\customui.cfg

In this file you can set up new commands, new menu entries and of course short cuts to
existing commands. See for example the file within
https://daube.ch/docu/files/Inst-FM14-ETB-en.zip \InstallETB_en\ETB\etb-customui.cfg
This file contains not the final definitions - It is modified by the installation
process to use local file locations. For example, on line 45 of this file you see
  <Hypertext openlink +fm-root+/fminit/configui/etb-vertqab-14 >>
The installation converts it (on my system) to
  <Hypertext openlink H:/Adobe/FrameMaker.15en/Adobe FrameMaker 2019/fminit/...

> 3. If I want to use a command that is already in place - for example, in
> FM2017 - the F7 key is used to find command shortcuts - but I want to use
> F7 for something else (related to conditional texting) - what happens if I
> use the F7 in both places?

You can not have the same short cut for two different functions.
- Either you give the current function (find command shortcut) a new unused shortcut
  (e.g. ALT+F7 - have not checked) and assign F7 then to the new function.
- Or you forget the current assignment and just re-use F7 for a new assignment.
Shortcuts may also be ESC sequences. But be aware that set up a sequence ESC+a+b, if
ESC+a is already used. Safe are ESC+y+... or ESC+Y+...; Relatively safe are ESC+q+... or
ESC+Q+.... See https://daube.ch/docu/files/FM-ESC-sequences.pdf

HTH
Klaus

Klaus Daube             Phone:  +41-44-381 37 77
Schäracher 11           Mail:   klaus at daube.ch
CH-8053 Zürich          Web:    www.daube.ch