[Framers] Condition expression for conditional text

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Dec 20 10:52:20 PST 2019

Doug,
     I agree with Lin, that it is more straightforward to avoid
"negative" tags that would have been used to indicate when you don't
want content included. Like him, I would use six tags: 40, 41, 42, 44,
PDF, and HTML and apply one or more of them to content that doesn't
appear in all publications. If something is needed in all books except
44, then apply 40, 41, and 42.

     Remember that FM provides two ways of specifying what conditional
tags to use:

 1. For each condition, specify whether it is to be shown or hidden. If
    more than one condition applies to particular content, FM shows it
    if any of the tags or shown.
 2. Define conditional expressions which are boolean expressions and
    give you much more control over display of content to which you've
    applied multiple tags.

    In your situation, you must use conditional expressions. You'll need
8 of them, one for PDF and one for HTML for each chapter. Use View >
Show/Hide Conditional Text to define all 8 of them in the chapter and
then apply the one you want.

    There are a couple of problems with the expressions Doug has used. I
believe the tag names have to be in quotes. Also, Doug has started his
expression for the PDF version of  book 40 with:

         not      ("41" or "42" or "44" or "HTML")

That will exclude anything with tagged 40 and any of the other book
tags. In particular, it will exclude your "except 44" case, which will
be tagged with 40, 41, and 42. Instead, assuming you will never tag
something with both HTML and PDF, you can use simply:

         "40" and not("PDF")

The other 7 expressions follow this model.
     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.