[Framers] Format of XML element attributes

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Jul 24 16:34:28 PDT 2019

On 7/24/2019 1:53 PM, cuc tu wrote:
> I am saving out structured XML. Frame inserts spaces in the attribute = "value" (should be attribute="value"), which is not acceptable (sloppy code they tell me). Can that be changed?
The definition of XML allows white space on either side of the equal
sign. Whoever told you that this style is sloppy doesn't know XML and is
probably using a non-conforming parser. That said, through FrameMaker
2015, FrameMaker generated a single space on both sides of the equal
sign. Since then, it does not.

To answer your question, there is no option in FM to control the
presence of these spaces. However, if you are using an older version of
FrameMaker and want to suppress the spaces, you can use an XSLT
post-process that simply writes XML equivalent to its import. Such an
identity transform will not write the spaces.
> Also, extra table element attributes are inserted, such as column width. None of that is acceptable, either. I can only have the attributes defined by the DTD. Is there something I need to add to the R/W Rules file to suppress that? My R/W Rules file is very limited and I only have the include iosall.rw and a graphic element.
Check the Structure Application Developer's Guide and the Structure
Application Developer Reference for a complete description of the
read/write rules that control the attributes FrameMaker uses to control
tables. It should not generate attributes that are not declared in the
DTD. If it is writing FrameMaker properties (such as column width) to an
existing attribute, you can use a read/write rule such as:

       element "/table/" {
           is fm table element;
           attribute "/att/" is fm attribute;
           }

Here, /table /is the name of the table element and /att /is the name of
the attribute. The rule specifies that the XML attribute named /att/ is
used for a FrameMaker attribute of the same name and not to indicate a
table property.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price