[Framers] Authoring and distributing a manual for US and non-US customers

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Fri Nov 8 13:51:31 PST 2019

A longtime client who initially distributed their product only in the US was
acquired by a large international firm and now will be required to have
their manuals available to customers in Europe, Asia, and A-Pac. Currently,
I am developing in FM V12 and producing a PDF that is available online.

The only information that I can gather right now is that this new customer
base will also require PDFs.

1.	I need to consider that I might be the one handling the logistics of
the translation process to an outside vendor versus any in-house staff.
(They do have folks that deal w/ this issue but they are overworked and
understaffed and right now, can't guarantee that they can take on another
division's translation requirements.)
2.	The current source is manual is classic US-approved layout - 8.5 x
11 w/ crop marks for printing specified but my client briefly rattled off
their concern about the A4 requirement for Europe.

So, my questions:

1.	How does A4 and any other non-US requirements impact/affect my
template in FM? What do I need to do/plan for/change the layout of so that I
have one single source guide that serves all customers - US and on-US?
2.	I know I can learn the logistics of the translation process but
first, any one company/person that you would recommend and what do I have to
be aware of in my FM template knowing that the source will be translated?
Any insight into the translation process/logistics of (what files I have to
provide, what I get back, etc.) would be sincerely appreciated.

Regards and TGIF,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com