[Framers] weird bug - Variable at start of paragraph sometimes vanishes

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Tue Nov 12 11:16:20 PST 2019

I've never seen this before; it looks like a bug.
FM2015, unstructured.
I have a big book with many variables and some conditions. In many (but not
all) cases, a variable that starts a paragraph is present but invisible.
Specifically,
*Note: AGM only.*
AGM is the variable. In some places I see *Note AGM only.* and in many
places I see *Note  only.* The latter still have the variable marker in
place and selectable, and when I select it, the invisible marker is still
assigned to the variable with the value AGM.
If I replace the variable, then it appears and it seems to stay, but I
don't know why it vanished in the first place, how to reproduce it, or how
to make it never happen again.
A clue: The doc originally had many many AGM only notes as text. Then
we started rebranding the product while keeping our own name as well,
publishing "blue" and "orange" versions of the doc. For the orange version,
the variable = AGM, and for the blue doc it's IVGM. To set the variable
throughout the doc, I replaced the text AGM with the variable, then copied
the variable and did a Find/Replace By Pasting (not a text Find/Replace).
That got the variable into place everywhere. I am not sure that's a factor,
because I think there are too many notes that still show the variable to
account for them all having been manual operations (and thus the bu came
from the automated F/R step).
Has anyone seen this?
Is there any solution other than manually replacing each invisible variable?

--

[image: logo]
*John Sgammato* *Documentation Architect*