[Framers] weird bug - Variable at start of paragraph sometimes vanishes

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Nov 12 12:25:41 PST 2019

Hi John,

Weird indeed, but what is even weirder is that I encountered this problem
myself a couple of months ago when I was using ePub to convert my FM source
to HTML5. It was one flippin' variable out of many that I  had in the source
files and it also involved conditional text. I know this is really, really
pulling at straws, but a couple of plug-ins that I was using and therefore,
affecting the Framemaker FDK, appeared to be the issue. (It was a
head-banging, feet-stomping, gut-wailing  investigation), but this was what
appeared to work:

The solution is to open each FM document that is generating with missing
variables and do the following:
- From the 'Show/Hide Conditional Text' tab, select the 'Show All' radio
button (make sure to have the show condition indicators selected) and then
select 'Apply'.
- confirm that the conditional text settings are as expected and where there
are problems fix.
-  From the 'Show/Hide Conditional Text' tab, select the 'Show As Per
Condition" radio button (make sure to have the show condition indicators
deselected), set the conditions accordingly, and then select 'Apply'. Do
this for both conditons.
- Save the FrameMaker file.

All my FrameMaker files were stable after that.

And short of assuming that I somehow had pleased the previously pissed-off
FrameMaker gods, I have no other explanation as to why this worked (I had my
rationale for it at the time), but it did.

I feel your pain.

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com
www.spectrumwritingllc.com