[Framers] Adobe licensing is migrating to subscription based

Syed Zaeem Hosain Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Aug 26 13:19:24 PDT 2020

Lin Sims wrote:

> As to an earlier email of yours, there is no difference between someone upgrading from an earlier version to 2020 or someone getting a new subscription to 2020. The subscription price is the same for everyone.

Yes, _exactly_! Which is what I consider unreasonable from Adobe - the rate for a single tool (i.e., FM), given their subscription pricing for suites, is too high.

Now, if you are more than one version out of date with FM, you may as well kiss that old license goodbye ... unless you can keep it using without upgrading or bug fixes.

> There are two annual options (no monthly option for FM!): one is to prepay for a year (about $360), the other is to pay monthly ($29.99) for a year's subscription (which totals about $360) with cancellation fees if you cancel it early.

I suppose this may work for those who are willing to consider subscription licenses - I am not! "Your mileage may vary", of course! 😊

Extreme point: For me, for the occasional use I give many of my tools, having to pay monthly (even a year at a time) sub fees, in total for everything, would be expensive!

This subscription model, adopted by _many_ providers now, misses that important point (of total amounts) entirely - they assume that their own charges are low enough for each user.

It is why I am changing towards free software, for the most part, for everything I do. They are getting _way_ good enough for many things. Particularly when most commercial software now comes attached with bells and whistles which the vast majority of users do not use.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:07 PM Syed Zaeem Hosain <Syed.Hosain at aeris.net>
wrote:

> Lin,
>
> That link mentioned FM _server_ versions, not the FM applications ...
> unless I overlooked something?
>
> Thanks!

> Lin Sims said:
> > This is an authoritative list of all of Adobe's products and when
> > they
> went End of Life and when Extended Support was ended. I hope it helps.
>
> > https://helpx.adobe.com/support/programs/eol-matrix.html

Lin Sims