[Framers] Open Excel from FM - Framers Digest, Vol 171, Issue 7

Orly Zimmerman orlyzim at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 03:19:56 PDT 2020

This email is in response to David's response to my query - the digest lost his formatted message apparently, also omitting his details.

HI David,
It's not onerous at all to manually attach the XLSX file to the PDF after generating. That's exactly what I do. But, that implies that the user
 a. knows there is an Excel file attached to the PDF.
 b. knows where to find the attachment to open it.
They may not be aware that there is an attachment pane that can be opened.

I would like to have a spot on the page where the reader can click and open the Excel file directly from the page. Alternatively, as you suggested, I could embed the sheet as an OLE object (as I do with my Visio figures), but it's really too large for my page (it's an ASIC pinlist with different colors for the different balls - sort of like a map).

Mind you, I can also, deliver the PDF and Excel sheet separately, and as long as the user has both files in the same folder, then I can have the reader click a PDF link (directly from anywhere on a page) and the Excel file will open in Excel - all this is controlled with a simple hypertext message marker and works well, however, I can't control delivery to customers that way. It might be ok for my internal readers.

Maybe there are other solutions out there yet?
Thanks,
Orly
Orly originally wrote:
-----------
HI All,
I would like to open an Excel file from a PDF created by FM.
I'm trying to use a HotSpot graphic box - where I populated the URL destination as: //filename.xlsx

So, when I get my PDF, it asks me if it's ok to open the file and I "allow" it.
But the file doesn't open. The file is in the same folder as the PDF file.

Any ideas how I can do this?
I don't care if it's not via the hotspot properties, but I would like the Excel file linked somehow to the PDF.
If I could embed the Excel file within the FM file - that would be best - assuming it would allow opening the Excel via the generated PDF.

Thanks,
Orly
====
David's response:
Is it too onerous to manually attach the XLSX file to the PDF after generating? I'd have to play around and research whether a link can be made in Pro to an attachment. That too would be manual, presumably. Another thought: embed the XLSX in a frame as an object? Weird need! Good luck, DavidDCA:d.a.d