[Framers] Weird spacing in PDF output

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 09:57:48 PDT 2020

Peter

> Seriously, I'm sure you have tried changing the source, say, with a
> different word, or if it's a text variable try plain text, or is a
> character tag applied, or if it's a corporate-name font, swap it, etc. Is
> the font customized to apply special kerning or spacing to specific glyph
> pairs?

The word "Pulse" is a text variable in the source, but once it gets to the
TOC it's plain text. I did try changing it in the source to text. The
pictures you see are the "after" of that try.

The font is Source Sans Pro. The TOC paragraph tag does have word spacing
adjusted to ensure that I don't have text abutting the page number
(standard workaround, minimum 190%, maximum 210%, optimum 100%), but since
all the other tags have the exact same settings, why would those two, and
only those two, convert from FM to PDF so weirdly? I don't touch the letter
spacing or stretch settings on the font tab. There are no character tags
applied in either the source file or the generated TOC.

Doug

> For instance, insert Pulse Software before the word "Pulse", and PDF it
> again.  Observe the results.

No joy on this. There appears to be something about the actual word
"Software" that the PDF engine is having a conniption about. The original
text has Software oddly space, and the inserted text right before it also
has "Software oddly spaced. In fact, the "e" from "Software" is overlapping
the "P" of the original "Pulse".

Maybe it's time to reinstall Acrobat. Again. I have constant problems with
this program. Multiple Fatal DDE Errors, an inability to open PDFs by
double-clicking on them from File Explorer or the download bar at the
bottom of a browser, and on and on. An Adobe tech completely wiped every
Adobe program and reinstalled them, and I've even had my machine completely
reimaged and the problems continue.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 8:47 AM Doug <dbailey4117 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Experiment by making changes to the source.
>
> For instance, insert Pulse Software before the word "Pulse", and PDF it
> again.  Observe the results.  If the new words display fine, delete
> everything after them and PDF it again.  Observe the results.
>
> You might be able to fix it, even if you might never discover why.
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:50 PM Peter Gold <peter at petergold.photography>
> wrote:
>
> > It's a no-brainer, Lin! It's "social distancing. :)
> >
> > Seriously, I'm sure you have tried changing the source, say, with a
> > different word, or if it's a text variable try plain text, or is a
> > character tag applied, or if it's a corporate-name font, swap it, etc. Is
> > the font customized to apply special kerning or spacing to specific glyph
> > pairs?
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 3:46 PM Lin Sims <ljsims.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This is only happening with 2 entries in the entire TOC. In the TOC,
> they
> > > look identical to all the other entries in the TOC. I've checked the
> > > paragraph tags in both the original files and the TOC files and they
> are
> > > the same. But in the PDF created from that TOC, the text for those two
> > > headings is weirdly spaced for the word Software.
> > >
> > > I've posted this to the Adobe FrameMaker forum, with pictures. If
> anyone
> > > has an idea, I'd appreciate it. It's a little thing, but it looks bad.
> > >

> https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/weird-spacing-in-toc-after-conversion-to-pdf/td-p/11427776?page=1
> > >
> > > --
> > > Lin Sims

Lin Sims