[Framers] Paragraph numbering

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Jun 15 06:58:15 PDT 2021

Debbie,

     Lin's example uses some options in FrameMaker's counter support
that you didn't mention in your post:

1. Different sequences. If a paragraph's autonumber starts with a single
character followed by a colon, it uses counters that are independent of
those in other sequences. One solution in your case would be to use:

      x:<n=1> and x:<n+> for numbered items
      y:<a=1> and y:<a+> for lettered items

I've used the x and y sequences in this example to emphasize that the
sequence identifiers are independent of the way you are formatting the
counter values. Of course, using n and a (or N and A) is probably more
natural.

Different sequences can be used for different numbered constructs. For
example, you might use one sequence for list numbers and a different one
for section numbers.

2. Using multiple levels in one sequence. For example, documents with
three levels of sections can use the first counter for main sections,
the second for subsections, and the third for subsubsections with
autonumbers such as:

      s:<n+> for main sections
      s:<n>.<n+> for subsections
      s:<n>.<n>.<n+> for subsubsections

The counter for any level that is not mentioned is reset to 0. Thus,

      s:<n+> increments and displays the first level and resets the
second and third levels to 0
      s:<n>.<n+> displays the first level without changing it,
increments and displays the second level, and resets the third level to 0
      s:<n>.<n>.<n+> displays the first and second levels without
changing them, increments and displays the third level

3. Displaying a counter in different ways. Building blocks indicate the
format in which counters are displayed (n for Arabic numerals, a for
lowercase letters and so forth), but the counter value depends on how
that level of that sequence was set in previous paragraphs and not by
how it was displayed previously. It is up to the user to make sure that
the same format is used consistently in all paragraphs.

One way to "display" a counter is not to show it at all. That's done by
using a space instead of a visible character (such as n or a) for the
format. Lin is using the L sequence for items in lists with the first
level of that sequence for numbered items in the main list and the
second level of that sequence for lettered items in numbered lists. So
his L:< ><a+>\t, where the space between the first pair of angle
brackets is important, means to save but not display the value of the
first counter level and to increment and display the second level as a
letter. Without < >, the autonumber would be referring to the first
level and the numbers and letters for both list levels would be confused.

Hope this helps,

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price