[Framers] Paragraph numbering

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:27:06 PDT 2021

In addition to Lynne's excellent explanation, I'd like to add that while
you can leave the trailing placeholders out of your autonumber definitions,
it is generally recommended that they be used so that you have a visual
reminder of how many characters are included. This becomes really important
when you try to set up a single series to handle, for example, heading
levels, tables, and graphics.

So where she has:

      s:<n+> increments and displays the first level and resets the
> second and third levels to 0
>       s:<n>.<n+> displays the first level without changing it,
> increments and displays the second level, and resets the third level to 0
>       s:<n>.<n>.<n+> displays the first and second levels without
> changing them, increments and displays the third level

I would use:

The end result is the same, but you now have a visual reminder that there
are other tags using this series that may require updating.

(And I'm female, btw. Not that it's easy to tell from my name!)

Lin Sims