[Framers] Contents of Framers digest... Why so many of us feel the way we do....

Dennis Hays Dennis.Hays at haysdesign.com
Wed Oct 20 06:20:25 PDT 2021

Way back in the dark ages, when FrameMaker was first ported to Windows,
I worked with a FM staff member, Mercedes (still fondly remember her),
to address bugs and issues. She sent me updates via overnight courier
and these were multiple disk sets, calling for a fresh install. The
reason I remember her name is because we talked almost daily and
installation disks arrived weekly or more until the issue count dropped.

Of course, I don't expect this level of customer service anymore from
any software publisher, but through the years I have had bits and pieces
of exemplary support. On a contract to bring a trade book to press, I
worked with Dov over the phone as to why illustrations with schematics
wouldn't reproduce lines. and this from the printer's site in Michigan.
More recently, I worked with Adobe to resolve an issue where importing
and converting a MS Word document crashed FrameMaker (MS Word Track
Changes caused the problem - this was last year).

I am not happy with the subscription model as I believe it's an
egregious affront to hold the software hostage when missing a
subscription payment. From a business point of view, it's a cash flow
solution, reducing the seasonal vagaries of software sales. But it's not
customer-centric.  And this is a problem.

A while back, someone on this forum mentioned difficulty finding a
FrameMaker manual. I have a 1241 page Adobe PDF version dated June 1,
2021 on the cover page. It's a 46MB file, but if anyone wants a copy,
I'll post it where it can be downloaded.

Dennis Hays
Ex-Publisher of the now-extinct InFrame Magazine

--
DENNIS
Hays

+1 518.779.2322