FrameMaker 9

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Thu May 19 19:23:22 PDT 2011

For better or worse, problems with 32-bit applications under 64-bit versions of Windows generally have absolutely nothing to do with the "migration from 32-bit to 64-bit addressing" in and of itself. 64-bit versions of Windows run 32-bit applications in 32-bit mode in the same way they ran under 32-bit versions of Windows with the same processor. In 32-bit mode, applications only "see" what looks like a 32-bit system including only 32-bit address spaces.

Where we typically see issues are in the following areas:

(1)          Installers. Older installers that followed the "rules" for the Microsoft Installer are not aware of some differences in the underlying "plumbing" of the 64-bit Windows versions and where certain files should/could be located and differences in other protocols in terms of registry entries, etc.

(2)          Drivers. Under 64-bit versions of Windows, drivers are all 64-bit. There are sometimes problems in the translation layer of the OS in communicating 32-bit program driver requests to 64-bit drivers. In other cases, the 64-bit drivers are not quite up to the maturity of their older 32-bit counterparts (read that as buggy and not quite ready for prime time). This is especially true for video drivers. Sometimes the problems are associated with various graphics acceleration modes provided by the combination of the graphics card/chip and the driver. Check to see if there is a newer version of the video driver for your 64-bit version of Windows - if not from the computer vendor, then from the video card/chip supplier. If an updated driver doesn't exist or doesn't solve the problem, if the video card's driver allows for disabling or reducing such acceleration, try doing that to remedy the OP's symptoms.

(3)          Aero. Beginning with Vista and continuing with Windows 7, Microsoft provided a desktop windowing scheme known as Aero that provides nice eye candy in terms of translucent window frames and other video effects on the desktop. In combination with applications that make extensive direct calls to the video driver, Aero only exacerbates the problems per (2) above. Try disabling Aero in combination with (2) above.

Note that the windowing, menus, and user interfaces provided by most current versions of Adobe applications including FrameMaker use Flash technology in conjunction with any acceleration provided by the video card and its driver and thus, issues of (2) and (3) above could result in the symptoms the OP describes.

                - Dov