Framemaker table line issue

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 10 06:47:28 PST 2012

Michael Muller-Hillebrand replied (and I include my original question):

> I'm using FrameMaker 9.
>
> I want to remove inside and outside table rulings (except for the
> bottom line) in Format A. I've tried to do this in the
> topic.template.fm, but it won't take my changes. I've looked in the
> topic.edd.fm, but I can't figure out if the table formatting is
> defined there.
>
> Where are table rulings defined?

Nadine,

You use the Table Designer to change table formats. Open the template,
insert a table of the required format *without structure* and use the
Table Designer (Ctrl+T) to modify the settings. Also described here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f\
7240c-7fc0.html#WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7240c-7fb3

When you are done click Update All.

Delete the table and insert a new table with that format again to see
what you achieved. Delete the table and save the template.

- Michael

In addition, Edna Elle said:

Hi,

Table layout is not controlled by the EDD when the table already
exists. When you initial insert the table, the TabStyle attribute
should control the layout and the typefaces used but after you have
inserted the table, the TabStyle attribute only controls the typefaces
that are used in the table. If you change the TabStyle attribute value
then you need to also change the Table Designer table format to match
the attribute value. The table layout ruling, padding, and such is
defined in the Table Designer. However, if you have custom ruling or
ruling that has become "custom," you need to clear this. To do this:

1. Select all cells of the table, including the heading row and any
footer row that you may have.
2. Choose *Table* > *Custom Ruling & Shading*.
3. In the Custom Ruling and Shading dialog box, check the *Custom
Cell Ruling* box (seems wrong but it is correct). From the *Apply
Ruling Style* list, choose *From Table*. In the *To Selection*
and the *Inside Borders* areas, check /all/ boxes. Uncheck
*Custom Cell Shading* (assuming you have no shading to clear.)
Click *Apply*.

Good Luck,
---Edna Elle

That all helped me at the time. I hope you can find something useful in it, too.

Nadine