making stuff unconditional in FM12

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Sun Mar 30 09:27:26 PDT 2014

Aw .. c'mon .. that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

I'm not a fan of the "new" (since FM9) UI either, but personally
attacking the people behind the current product really isn't fair. The
current team developing FrameMaker *is* very interested in customer
feedback, and does listen. (And it's certainly not the programmers'
faults .. they implement the features they are told to.)

The new UI is a significant change from the old standard, but can be
tamed if you're willing to spend the time to learn how to make it do
what you want. There are training videos and other info about setting up
workspaces and other features, and with FM12, they have fixed most of
the missing keyboard shortcuts (I believe). I totally agree that there
are some frustrating aspects to it, but that's the new world of UI
design. If you don't like it, stick with FM8. No one is forcing you to
upgrade (although they do encourage it).

As for XML editors .. I think you'll find that XMetaL is considerably
lacking when compared to FM. Especially if you're planning on generating
PDFs .. you'll either need to take a step back on your formatting and
layout, or you'll still need to use FM for PDF publishing. (But I am
biased .. I'll admit that freely.)

Cheers,

...scott